AS & A Level History at Cleeve Park School
AS: 1J The British Empire, c1857–1914
Part one: The development of Imperialism and the expansion of the British Empire from c1857–1914. This option allows students to study in breadth issues of change, continuity, cause and consequence in this period through the following key questions:
- Why did the British Empire grow and contract?
- What influenced imperial policy?
- How did the Empire influence attitudes and culture?
2L Italy and Fascism, c1900–1945
This option provides for the study in depth of a period of Italian history during which democracy gave way to Fascism. It requires an exploration of concepts such as liberalism, extremism, Fascism and authority. It also encourages students to reflect on the reasons for political change, the interaction of economic and governmental developments and the factors which promote and sustain dictatorship. Key topics:
- The Crisis of Liberal Italy, c1900–1915
- The collapse of Liberal Italy and Mussolini’s Rise to Power, 1915–1922
- Mussolini and the establishment of Fascist Italy, 1922–1926
A2: A-level History: The British Empire, c1857-1967
Part two: Imperial retreat, 1914–1967 (A-level only)
Students continue their in breadth study of issues of change, continuity, cause and consequence in this period through the following new topics:
- Imperialism challenged, 1914–1947– Expansion and contraction of empire.
- The winds of change, 1947–1967 – Decolonisation
A-level History: Italy and Fascism, c1900-1945
Part two: Fascist Italy, 1926–1945 (A-level only)
Students continue their study in depth of this period of Italian history with the introduction of the following new topics:
- Fascist society, 1926–1940
- Fascist foreign policies, 1926–1940
- Fascist Italy and war, 1940–1945
A-level History: Non-Examination Assessment - Historical Investigation
A personal study based on a topic of student's choice. This should take the form of a question in the context of approximately 100 years. It must not duplicate the content of options chosen for Components 1 and 2. Assessed – 3000-3500 words, 40 marks, 20% of A-level, marked by teachers, moderated by AQA.
Grade B or above in History and English GCSEs
- Year 12 (AS) - 2 exams
- Year 13 (A2) - 1 exam and 1 piece of coursework
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Cleeve Park School directly.