Film Studies AS & A Level at The City of Liverpool College
Ever wonder why a film makes you feel a certain way? Then this is the course for you. There is much more to Film Studies than simply watching films, although this is fun. Film Studies will allow you to learn how and why films are created. Studying the industry, including Hollywood Cinema to world Cinema. Film Studies will help you understand how audiences use film and how they react to specific films. With the multibillion pound industry and the ever increasing popularity in film it is vital to understand why films are made.
The course is split in to 2 years.
• Year one will include an introduction to reading film and film form. It includes a study of Hollywood cinema and British Cinema. Discussing both industries.
• The second year of study will include a focus on world cinema including French Cinema and Brazilian Cinema. There is also a study of genres and how they create audience emotions. The final part of this year will include a study of Fight Club (1999:Fincher) and the messages and values evident in this movie.
There are benefits to studying Film Studies alongside Media Studies. You’ll find that the two subjects complement one another, with a strong foundation in how the media uses audiences and vice versa becoming even more important if you intend to study Film and/or Media at university. If you haven’t decided what else you’d like to study, you might like to choose a second or third subject of Communication and Culture Studies as this course follows similar themes and learning styles.
- The most important entry requirement is that you are committed and determined to do well
- You must achieve a 2 Grade B's and 3 Grade C's (including English) or equivalent (this equivalency will be discussed at our information evening and then in further detail at interview)
- All places are conditional on results, subject to interview in June/July and a suitable reference from your school.
A qualification in Film Studies can open doors to a wide range of careers. With the increase in popularity of both Film Studies and Media studies, the foundations taught will help provide a step toward university. A good understanding of film and how films are created could lead to a range of career paths including script writing, cinematography, directing and much more.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The City of Liverpool College directly.