AS Chemistry (H032) at Queen Elizabeth's Girls' School
AS Course Outline :
The content is split into four teaching modules:
• Module 1 – Development of practical skills in Chemistry
• Module 2 – Foundations in Chemistry
• Module 3 – Periodic table and energy
• Module 4 – Core organic Chemistry Both components assess content from all four modules.
Module 1 – Development of practical skills in Chemistry
• Practical skills assessed in a written examination
Module 2 – Foundations in Chemistry
• Atoms, compounds, molecules and equations
• Amount of substance
• Acid–base and redox reactions
• Electrons, bonding and structure
Module 3 – Periodic table and energy
• The periodic table and periodicity
• Group 2 and the halogens
• Qualitative analysis
• Enthalpy changes
• Reaction rates and equilibrium (qualitative)
Module 4 – Core organic Chemistry
• Basic concepts
• Alcohols and haloalkanes
• Organic synthesis
• Analytical techniques (IR and MS)
Average Grade BB or above in GCSE Core and Additional Science (or a Grade B or above in GCSE Science: Chemistry). A Grade B or above in English and a Grade B or above in Mathematics.
For AS level, there are two examined modules;
• Breadth in Chemistry (Worth 50%) (Worth 50%) 70 marks (1 hour 30 minutes)
• Depth in Chemistry (Worth 50%) (Worth 50%) 70 marks (1 hour 30 minutes)
Both papers are sat in June, these count for a total of 100% of the grade of AS Chemistry.
Currently an overall mark of 80% at AS level represents a Grade A, a Grade E is 40%, with intervening grades at 10% intervals. (The A* Grade is only available at the end of the full A level course, with a 90% score at A level.)
Lessons involve a mixture of theory and practical activities. A commitment to discussion and study time outside lessons is essential for success in this course.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Queen Elizabeth's Girls' School directly.