Games Development Level 3 at Wiltshire College
If you are interested in how interactive games are developed, different games platforms and technologies, 3D modelling, computer programming and FX, this is the course for you!
Each year we attend Eurogamer, an annual gaming expo which takes place at Earls Court in London. During this event you can play the latest games, talk to people from the industry and attend seminars lead by some of the leading names in the industry.
The Trowbridge Campus is also now a registered event host for the annual international Global Game Jam event, which students are encouraged to participate in. This 48 hour event sets out a brief to produce a working game to a given theme.
4 GCSEs at grade A*-C or equivalent including English and Maths and preferably Science (or Merit or Distinction in a related subject at Level 2)
A good reference
A satisfactory interview
You will study 7 mandatory units:
• Pre-Production Techniques for the Creative Media Industries
• Communication Skills for Creative Media Production
• Research Techniques for the Creative Media Industry
• Creative Media Production Management Project
• Working to a Brief in the Creative Media Industries
• Understanding the Computer Games Industry
• Computer Game Platforms and Technologies
In addition you will study optional units which may include:
• Digital Graphics for Interactive Media
• 3D Modelling
• 3D Animation
• 3D Environments
• Drawing Concept Art for Computer Games
• Computer Game Engines
• Computer Game Design
• Sound for Computer Games
• Computer Game Story Development
• Flash for Computer Games
• Digital Graphics for Computer Games
There will be work to complete at home but you do not have to own specialised computer hardware or software.
There is a continuous programme of coursework assignments which build to make up your final course grade. In year 2 you are tasked with creating a 2D and 3D game as part of your final major project.
The final qualification will be a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Games Development.
Upon completion you could progress onto further study such as BA/BSc Degrees in subjects relating to entertainment technology, multimedia, computing, or games development.
Employment opportunities could include:
Games design and development
Games level designer
Games texture creator
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wiltshire College directly.