Accessibility links

History AS and A Level at Queen Elizabeth Grammar School Penrith

Course description

We offer two chronologically distinct History A level courses. One focuses on Russian and British History of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and the other on the Crusades and British History during the 12th and 13th centuries.

Course content

Component 1: Depth Study Written Paper 40%
The Study of significant historical developments over a period of around 100 years
Component 2: Breadth Study Written Paper 40%
The Study of a major historical development and assorted primary evidence.
Component 3: Historical Investigation Non-Examined 40%
Responding to a question of the candidate’s choice and based on a historical issue or event that has been debated.

Assessment

The historical investigation is a great opportunity for students to choose their own topic within a period and write a 3500-4000 word essay. Staff will teach taster lessons on a whole range of topics and we also arrange visits to university libraries to get more specialised resources. Medieval historians will do something on 12th Century Europe while the modern historians will investigate 19th Century Britain.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Queen Elizabeth Grammar School Penrith directly.

Last updated date: 15 August 2016

Key information

Venues

  • More information
    • The school was founded by Royal Charter in 1564. It was formerly situated in the centre of Penrith near St. Andrew's Church, but moved to the new buildings on its present site in 1915. The main school was extended in 1937 and 1958. The Donald Fay Memorial Building consisting of four Technology rooms and two Information Technology rooms was completed by September 1995 and a new building providing six Science laboratories, four Mathematics rooms and another Technology room was opened in July 1998. In November 2001, the Peter Kremer Sports Hall and four English rooms were completed. Further building work in 2004, 2009 and 2014 has provided additional office space and four classrooms. The extensive playing fields are adjacent to the school.