Level 1 Diploma Food Industry Skills at Leeds City College
Would you like to pursue a career in the baking industry? This course will give you an introduction to the sector and provide you with opportunities to learn a wide range of skills.
You will learn about the industry production of a variety of food products from cakes to pastries and bread to pies. You will be taught about the essentials of food safety and hygiene, preparing you for further study or employment.
- Introduction to working in the food industry
- Understanding food production
- Develop skills in food production
- Food safety and hygiene
- Cake decoration
This qualification has been designed for those wishing to pursue a career in the baking industry. It provides a solid introduction to the industry and provides the opportunity to learn a wide range of skills in preparation for work, or progression to a higher level course. This course provides students with an opportunity to learn a wide range of skills and develop their knowledge relating to the production of cakes, bread, rolls, gateaux, pastries, pies, flans and tarts, and the essentials of cake decoration.
Including: cakes, gateaux, slices and creams, including continental products. Essential Food Safety and Hygiene
No formal entry qualifications are required, just a commitment to succeed. The programme is open to everyone, whether employed or not
Assessment is continuous throughout the period of the course, including practical tests and written questions.
- Successful students can progress onto higher level programmes such as NVQ Level 2 Craft Baking. Part-time, full-time or flexible options are available. These programmes will further increase skills and knowlege and inprove career prospects.
- Employment for those not already employed, there are good employment prospects. For those students attending the programme as part of company training and education programme, these qualifications can increase career opportunities. Local and National companies are continuously seeking qualified and trained individuals, both in full time and part time employment. Past students have been employed by Greggs, Manor Bakeries (Mr Kipling & Lyons), Fox's Biscuits, Thomas the Baker, Warburtons and Speedibake. They have also found employment in restaurant and hotel pastry departments.
English and Maths will be built onto your course if your grades are below 4/5
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.