Music A Level at The King's School, Grantham
The AS and A2 Music course continues to build upon the three main areas covered at GCSE: performing, composing/ theory and listening. Students follow the Edexcel syllabus. For AS and A2 Music students will study set musical works from a range of musical styles and periods.
The course allows students extensive access to the high quality recording and sequencing hardware and software that the department houses in its specialist teaching rooms.
- Further musical understanding
The school’s Published Admissions Number (PAN) is 30. This is the maximum number of places which will be available in Year 12 for candidates who have attended schools other than The King’s School in Year 11. The criteria for admission to the Sixth Form will be:
- 6 GCSE passes in different subjects at Grade B or better (to include Maths and English), with Grade B or better in at least 3 subjects to be studied at A Level;
- A viable programme of study of either 3 or more GCE AS Level subjects (excluding General Studies) or an Advanced Diploma plus one GCE AS Level subject.
If there are more applicants than places, places will be offered on the basis of overall GCSE performance calculated on a points system where A* = 58 points, A = 52 points, B = 46 points, C = 40 points, D = 34 points, E = 28 points, F = 22 points, G = 16 points, subject to the following:
- an applicant must meet the standards outlined in bullet point 1 above.
- priority will be given to candidates in the *care of the local authority.
In the event of a tie for the final place the following criterion will apply; distance from **home to school measured in a straight line by Microsoft MapPoint software between the post office address point of the home and the post office address point of the school.
If there are more applicants than places available in a particular AS Level subject, places in that subject will be allocated according to the following criteria in the order shown:
- GCSE grade in that subject (where applicable);
- Overall GCSE score (in terms of average points per subject entry).
- Solo Performance
- Aural test; essay question paper; theory test
- Mock exam
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The King's School, Grantham directly.