Italian - A Level at Clevedon School
“All roads lead to Rome”, and we want to help you get there! The impact of Italian culture on our own is vast; you only have to look at what the Romans did for us. The time you commit to your Italian language at A Level will help you to secure a sound language and cultural confidence in the country which still lies at the heart of Europe. Fashion, food, film, Florence – a lot to learn from this beautiful language.
The course covers four main topics involved with youth, culture, the environment, and education. Throughout each topic students are encouraged to develop their use of extended opinions to sustain a discussion. Grammar and language will be taught so as to help underpin self-expression in communicating these ideas.
Youth culture and concerns
- Lifestyle: health and fitness
- The world around us: travel, tourism, environmental issues and the Italian-speaking world
- Education and employment
- Customs, traditions, beliefs and religions
- National and international events: past, present and future
- Literature and the arts
- Researched base essay
ADMISSION ONTO LEVEL 3 COURSES
In order to be admitted onto Level 3 courses, students should satisfy all the following requirements:
- At the end of Year 11 secure a minimum of 5 GCSE passes at grades A* to C at GCSE.
- Secured at least a grade B at GCSE in the subject that the student wishes to study at Post 16, or the same grade in a related subject where it has not been previously studied GCSE.
- Have demonstrated, through their previous education career, the level of self-motivation and commitment required for Post 16 study.
NB. In exceptional cases one or more of the above requirements may be waived at the discretion of the Headteacher or his designated member of staff. The school reserves the right not to admit onto the requested course, despite meeting the above requirements, if on educational grounds it is not considered to be appropriate to the needs and ability of the student concerned.
Unit 1 – Speaking exam (20 minutes) 15% total A2 marks - 30 % total AS marks
Unit 2 – Understanding and written response (2.5 hours) 30% total A2 marks - 70% total AS marks
The Italian AS and A2 qualification proves you can deduce and recognise patterns and analyse important information. All employers are impressed by it, but most importantly it can enrich your lifestyle, opening opportunities for travel and work abroad. Your job prospects are unlimited – tourism, hospitality, commercial industries, education, and the government, all look for linguists to bring something new to their organisations.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Clevedon School directly.