Government and Politics at East Leake Academy
AS Government and Politics is all about power and decision-making in the UK - how our political system works or does not work. You will study two related modules.
People and Politics concentrates on communication between people and their government considering questions like:
* What is politics?
* Do we live in a democracy?
* Why should we participate in politics?
* Do elections change anything?
* What is the role of political parties compared to pressure groups?
Governing the UK looks at the rules for running the country and how different institutions follow and use these rules. This covers issues such as:
* What is government?
* How powerful are Parliament and the Prime Minister?
* What is our Constitution, and where did it come from?
* Do judges deliver justice and keep us free?
* How united is the United Kingdom?
If you want to understand how and why decisions that affect us all are made, then you need to study politics.
The A2 course continues with detailed studies of the competing ideas behind the way our system works. It covers the theory and practical examples of ideologies including conservatism, liberalism, socialism, anarchism, nationalism, feminism, ecologism and multiculturalism applying many of these to UK politics.
5 GCSEs at grade C or above, including English and Maths.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact East Leake Academy directly.