Information Technology - BTEC Level 3 Diploma at Grange Technology College
A two year course for people who use ICT in the work place or wish to hold an ICT role within an organisation. This course is highly recommended for those students wishing to study BTEC National Certificate in Business alongside an IT qualification as the skills taught can be applied in industry.
For further information contact Mrs J Morrell, Subject Leader
All 12 Units (6 each year) are assessed via a portfolio of evidence. It is crucial for you to be organised and manage your time effectively as there are deadlines to meet.
In Year 12 you will study 2 core and 4 specialist units.
The first core unit:
Communication and Employability Skills for IT, identifies interpersonal and organisational skills required in any sector of employment, identifies the required characteristics of an IT employee andd teaches you how to communicate effectively using ICT.
The second core unit:
Computer Systems, helps you understand both the hardware and software components of computer systems and teaches you how to undertake routine computer maintenance.
In Year 13 you will study onecore unit and5 specialist units.
The core unit:
Information Systems- helps you understand how organsations use business information and the issues and constraints in its use. It also teaches you about the features and functions of information systems.
At the moment the following are studies in Year 12:
- Information Systems - the characteristics of business information and how it is used.
- Advanced Spreadsheet Skills - to use formulae and functions to solve complex problems and create efficient automated and cyustomisable spreadsheets that enable easy analysis and interpretation.
- Website Production and Management - to design and create interactive websites for a given purpose.
- Digital Graphics and Computers - to create and modify graphic images to meet user requirements.
There are over 30 specialist units available for study. Topics range from developing skills in software, applying IT to business topics and technical support and networking.
This course is worthwhile for students from a diverse background with an interest in ICT and its use. Entry criteria: minimum grade C in English or a merit in BTEC ITLevel 2or DIDA is an advantage but not a prerequisite. If successful at the end of the first year you can be awarded an A level Single award. In year 2 further modules are studied to accredit you with the equivalent of 2 A levels. Success in Year 12 is a prerequisite to starting the year 13 course.
This course consists of 100% coursework and therefore is demanding throughout the year; deadlines must be kept and to do this you need to be organised and manage your time well.
You will be involved in a number of group visits to places such as :
- A visit to the WOW Academy introduces you to up-to-date technology; 3D videoing, animation, game design, graphic manipulation.
- An enterprise activity day working in teams to solve problems: Students work for a chocolate box manufacturing company exporting boxes to Marseille, France. Each group is to design a chocolate box, produce an advertising poster and TV commercial. The best team wins.
This course provides a sound basis for progression to a full range ofHE courses as it shows computer literacy at a high level. It also prepares you for a course in ICT, Business Systems and Management Information Systems.
As BTEC is highly recognised by employers this course can take you straight into employment. Jobs that are commonly taken after completion of the qualification are System Analyst, Computer Service Technician and Computer Operator.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grange Technology College directly.