Physics AS Level at St Peter's School, Huntingdon
The exciting, brand new OCR Physics Syllabus A involves theoretical work and practical work at both AS and A2 levels.
At AS you will study three units:
- Electrons, Waves and Photons; and
- Practical Skills in Physics 1. This covers topics including physical quantities and units, force, linear and non-linear motion, car safety, power, behaviour of springs and materials, electric current, resistance, emf and pd, resistivity, series and parallel circuits, wave motion, the photoelectric effect, and wave-particle duality.
You will be developing your practical skills and gaining a deeper understanding of how science works.
You will begin to link different areas of physics like magnetism, electricity and gravity in new ways.
- GCSE grade A* - B in the Triple Award Physics or Additional Science and
- 5 GCSE passes A* - C including English and Maths at a grade B.
If you are aiming to study Mathematics at AS level this will be an advantage, but the mathematical skills necessary for Physics will be taught as part of the course.
January in Year 12:
- Unit G481 Mechanics . A 1 hour written paper worth 30% of the AS mark.
June in Year 12:
- Unit G482 Electrons, Waves and Photons . A 1.75 hour paper worth 50% of the AS marks.
- Unit G483 Practical Skills in Physics 1 .
You will do six assessment papers throughout the year under three headings:
- Qualitative and
- Evaluative Assessments.
The best mark for each will then be submitted to the exam board. This assessment is worth 20% of the AS mark.
The textbook will cost about 17 for the AS course and a similar amount for the A2 book - although these can often be obtained cheaper through Amazon.
In addition, students are encouraged to subscribe to the Physics Review magazine which gives some excellent background reading and helpful exam tips. This can be done at a discount through the school.
There are a wide range of career opportunities in many areas including:
New graduates in these subjects from university have had some of the highest starting salaries of all graduates.
Contact Mr E Bryant for further information. Delivery: Full-time
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Peter's School, Huntingdon directly.