Geology at John Kyrle High School & Sixth Form Centre
What’s it all about? Geology is the study of Earth Science, the structure, evolution and formation of the planet. The subject contains strong elements of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Geography. If you are interested in the world we live in then Geology is definitely the right subject for you.
What topics are covered for AS?
* The formation and structure of the Earth.
* The science of palaeontology (fossils).
* Identification of the properties of minerals.
* Understanding Geological Maps.
* Residential and fieldwork trips to the Lake District and Pembrokeshire.
* How geological hazards and disasters affect people’s lives.
* One week residential field study.
What topics are covered for A2?
* The history of life on Earth – Evolution.
* Advanced Igneous, Sedimentary and Metamorphic petrology.
* Special study on Quaternary (ice age) geology.
* Special study on the geology of the lithosphere.
* Residential and local fieldwork leading to the A2 coursework.
Good GCSE results in Science, Maths and English. Geography at GCSE is an advantage, but is not a requirement.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact John Kyrle High School & Sixth Form Centre directly.