Mathematics (Use Of) AS & A Level at John Leggott Sixth Form College
AS-Level course: 1st Year
In the first year, students take 3 modular exams, all in the summer:
- Data Analysis (FSMQ): or Dynamics (FSMQ): You will have the choice between these 2 modules. Students taking subjects such as Engineering or Electronics would benefit from studying Dynamics. All other students should take Data Analysis.
- Decision Mathematics (FSMQ): You will learn about modern applications of mathematics in business, project management and computing using networks and matrices.
- Algebra: You will model real data with appropriate functions and investigate functions commonly used to model practical situations using graphing and analytical techniques.
A-Level course: 2nd Year
The second year of the course consists of 2 modular exams, both taken in the summer, and a coursework module:
- Calculus: You will learn to use differentiation, integration and differential equations to analyse and describe real-world situations and to solve problems. You will also investigate the use of numerical methods to find gradients and evaluate integrals and compare these with analytical methods.
- Mathematical Comprehension: In this unit, you will extend your use of maths when modelling different situations and learn to think critically about how you and others use mathematics, including developing the ability to comprehend short mathematical texts.
- Mathematical Applications: A portfolio of two tasks at A2 standard, each based on one unit from the FSMQs done in AS Use of Maths, plus algebra and calculus.
GCSE Maths Higher tier at grade C or above. GCSE average 5.0 or above.
Statistical methods are widely used in science, social science and humanities but you will have the skills to apply mathematical thinking to any real life contexts.
There is the opportunity to take part in a national mathematics competition as well as attending the popular Scary Maths classes that take place at lunchtime. We also have an active Maths Society that meets once a week.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact John Leggott Sixth Form College directly.