Hairdressing, Beauty and Spa Traineeship at Buxton & Leek College
A Traineeship is an education and training programme with work experience that is focused on giving young people the skills and experience that employers are looking for. They are designed to prepare young people for their future careers by helping them to become work ready and compete successfully for job vacancies or Apprenticeships
Traineeships can last from 6 weeks up to six months and are made up of three basic elements that are all needed to secure an Apprenticeship or other job:
- Work preparation training – covering areas including CV writing, interview preparation, job-search and interpersonal skills
- A valuable work placement - with an employer to give meaningful work experience and develop workplace skills
- English and Maths support – if GCSE A* - C has not been achieved or a Level 2 Functional Skills qualification for those aged 19+.
Traineeships are delivered conjunctively between the College and employers and are funded by the Government. They are flexible depending on the needs of both the Trainee and the employer.
Unlike Apprenticeships, the work placement of a Traineeship is unpaid. However, Trainees will still be able to access existing programmes of financial support where they qualify. Traineeships have also been designed to meet the needs of young people who are claiming benefits – this means that Trainees can continue to receive Job Seekers Allowance during the programme.
Traineeships are designed for young students who are not currently in a job and have little work experience, but who are focussed on securing work:
- 16 to 19 year olds who do not have a Level 3 qualification
- 19 to 24 year olds who have not yet achieved a Level 2 qualification
The College and the employer must believe that Trainees have reasonable chance of being ready for employment or to move onto an Apprenticeship within sixth months of the start of the Traineeship.
The aim of a Traineeship is to help young people become ‘work ready’ and secure progression onto an Apprenticeship or a sustainable job role.
A Traineeship is completed when:
- The Trainee moves into employment, an apprenticeship or further education and training
- All elements of the Traineeship programme are complete
- The Traineeship reaches six months
The end of the Traineeship will be recognised with a formal reference from the employer where the work placement was undertaken. The Trainee will also be guaranteed a job interview with the employer at the end of the placement (although this does not guarantee a job offer).
You will still be able to continue with your English and/or Maths qualification with us if you have not completed or achieved the qualification before the end of the Traineeship. For 16 to 19 year olds this can be part of the subsequent study programme or Apprenticeship, or for those aged 19+ through the Level 2 Functional Skills entitlement.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Buxton & Leek College directly.