Hairdressing and Barbering Level 1 Certificate at North Hertfordshire College
Our hair, beauty and holistic therapy courses include lots of opportunities for you to get hands-on experience of the world of work, including:
- Work experience with businesses like Champney’s, Dermalogica, Aqua-Sana, Centre Parcs and Wella.
- The opportunity to help run Hart Salon, working with real, paying customers
- Visits to businesses and major events such as Salon International, Pro Hair Live, Baber UK, Victoria & Albert Museum and Professional Beauty Show
- Workshops including hair extension workshops, Wella London workshop, The Henna Mehadi workshop and Stone Therapy workshop.
- Gents’ barbering: Our courses will provide you with the expertise in the basic aspects of gent’s barbering. The course includes cutting, styling, facial beard shaping and consultation, and health and safety. Additionally, you’ll develop retailing and reception skills, and learn how to promote future products and services to enhance the growth of the business. You’ll be equipped to enter the industry with all the essential knowledge required for a successful career in barbering, having developed your wider communication and commercial skills.
- Women’s hairdressing: Our courses will provide you with expertise in all aspects of women’s hairdressing. This will include the knowledge of what is required from a junior assistant, to the skills of a junior and advanced stylist. The courses include cutting, colouring, perming, styling and consultation. Additionally, you’ll develop retailing and reception skills, and learn how to promote future products and services to enhance the growth of the business.
Through this course you’ll learn about:
- Shampooing and conditioning hair
- Colour removal
- Customer service
- Health and safety
- Styling and blow drying.
Students need to have a keen interest in the hairdressing sector and enjoy working as part of a team. A successful interview and initial assessment of English and maths. A school reference for 16 to 18 year olds. There are no formal entry requirements to join this course. We’ll use your interview to make sure it’s the right course for you. A successful interview; demonstrating interest, enthusiasm and commitment
This course is assessed through assignments, projects, practical and online tests. You’ll only sit exams if you’re also doing maths or English GCSE or functional skills.
Price on application.
There are no tuition fees for students aged 16-18 years.
If you are over 18, please speak to a client advisor.
Possible charges for any trips, visits, materials and uniform if required offered during the year will be independent of the tuition fees or any other student finance. Financial help may be available for these costs, please contact Student Services for more information.
- Level 2 courses including the certificate in women's hairdressing and certificate in barbering
- Paid employment in the sector.
Please visit our website for further information - www.nhc.ac.uk
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact North Hertfordshire College directly.