Health and Social Care BTEC Level 3 Diploma at Reigate College
This is a two year course and the Diploma is equivalent to two full A levels. It is an exciting subject for students who are interested in working with people in a wide range of settings. We offer you the opportunity to study life in-depth and the content is varied and interesting.
The Diploma course is ideally suited to anyone who is contemplating a career in the industry. Students will study in a positive, creative and friendly environment where they will be motivated and feel confident to express empathy and understanding with a diverse range of human needs.
This course covers a variety of topics such as:
- Developing Effective Communication in Health & Social Care
- Equality, Diversity and Rights in Health & Social Care
- Health, Safety and Security in Health & Social Care
- Development Through the Life Stages
- Nutrition for Health & Social Care
- Promoting Health Education
- Fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology for Health & Social Care
- Personal and Professional Development in Health & Social Care
- Sociological Perspectives for Health & Social Care
- Psychological Perspectives for Health & Social Care
- Research Methodology for Health & Social Care
- Caring for Individuals with Additional Needs
The learning experience is enhanced through work experience (100 hours), attending talks from visiting professionals, visiting exhibitions, conferences and health fairs. Teaching methods vary from discussion, independent research projects to multi-media applications. The aim is to create a positive, creative and friendly environment where students are motivated and feel empathy and understanding towards a diverse range of human needs.
5 GCSEs Grade A-C. It is recommended that one of these is English Language. Students on this course should be:
- interested in the care industry
- able to carry out independent research
- able to meet coursework deadlines
Students should enjoy and be good at working with others, communicating in speech and writing, planning their own learning and meeting deadlines. The ability to use information technology is also quite important.
The course is assessed by coursework and external assessment.
The exam board for this BTEC Diploma is Pearson BTEC.
Health and Social Care students may decide to take up a place at University studying one of a number of subject-related degrees. Popular courses include Nursing, Midwifery, Speech and Language Therapy, Radiography, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy and Teaching. A qualification in Health and Social Care will help provide essential knowledge of the industry and help prepare students for Higher Education or the world of work.
BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Health & Social Care students have the opportunity to take part in a variety of course related experiences. In the last couple of years, these have included:
- A visit to Canine Partners charity in Heyshott
- A visit to St. Piers School (for autism and epilepsy) in Lingfield
- A Health Fair run by Reigate College's Health & Social Care students. The students actively take part in the Health Fair along with visiting professionals.
- A visit to Gunther von Hagen’s ‘Body Worlds’ exhibition which supported the students’ studies of Anatomy and Physiology
- The 'Safe Drive Stay Alive' presentation at the Dorking Halls, that included a talk by Surrey Fire and Rescue Service on ‘Safer Driving’
- Hands-on experience in baby care where students were given the opportunity to take home a ‘Ready or Not Tot’, an interactive baby manikin
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Reigate College directly.