Marine Construction, Systems Engineering and Maintenance City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate at Brockenhurst College
This qualification is appropriate for anyone who is employed with an apprenticeship in the marine industry or as a full time qualification.
You will gain a thorough knowledge of yacht and boat construction, marine engineering or marine electrical depending on chosen pathway.
This qualification can help you develop the skills for a career in the boatbuilding industry.
Choose one pathway from:
- Certificate in Marine Construction, Systems Engineering and Maintenance (Boatbuilding)
- Certificate in Marine Construction, Systems Engineering and Maintenance (Marine Engineering/Electrical).
Each pathway is comprised of mandatory and optional units.
Optional units can be chosen from the following selection:
- yacht and boat building assembly and sub-assembly (boatbuilding);
- production of external boat components (boatbuilding / ship joinery / shipwrighting)
- interior installation and fitting out of boats (ship joinery / shipwrighting)
- composite manufacture for marine construction (boatbuilding / shipwrighting)
- servicing & maintenance of marine engines (marine engineering)
- servicing and maintenance of marine propulsion systems (marine engineering)
- maintaining electrical engineering equipment and systems (marine electrical)
- principles of marine electrical systems (marine electrical)
Students need to have passed 3 GCSEs at grade C or above (this must include English and Maths).
You will learn in the workshop and an appropriately equipped classroom.
Each mandatory unit will be assessed by an on-line test. For each optional unit there will be one practical and one written exam per unit / one assignment.
Compulsory £150 for corporate clothing, safety shoes, text book and classroom equipment.
There are many progression opportunities open to a successful student.
These qualifications can help you to progress in a number of boatbuilding and maintenance roles, including: boat builder; boat fitter; joiner; painter; boat designer; boatyard manager; marine engineer.
Students who are successful will be able to progress onto a level 3 certificate in Boatbuilding; into employment or to a range of further education and professional body qualifications such as:
- Apprenticeships/Advanced Apprenticeship/Higher Apprenticeships in Engineering Manufacturing
- Foundation degree
- Supervisory or Team Leader roles within their companies or Institute of Leadership and Management qualifications.
A full level 3 certificate can be gained over 3 years.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Brockenhurst College directly.