Biology A Level at The Kings of Wessex Academy
Are you interested in how your body works? Do you wonder why your heart beats faster in certain situations? Do you want to know the details of some of the science that is in the news? Are you concerned about the environment, genetic engineering or new diseases? Or do you just want to keep your options open and study a subject that is increasingly relevant in our society - and expanding all the time? Then Biology at A-level is a subject for you.
Why study Biology at A Level? It will enable you to:
- Understand the basic components of living organisms and their interactions.
- Appreciate the contribution that Biology is making to society.
- Sustain and develop your interest in Biology and the natural world.
- Provide an excellent foundation for further study at university.
What will I study?
Students will follow the AQA Biology course. All aspects of Biology will be covered, including cells, biological molecules, exchange and transport systems, biodiversity, homeostasis, anatomy, ecology, evolution, genetics and populations, control of gene expression and much more...
How will I learn?
You will learn through a variety of methods including traditional discussions and note taking, practical experimentation and self-study tasks. You will also be required to keep a lab book, detailing all your practical work, as well as recording and analysing any data that you collect. There is also the opportunity for group work and independent research. Mathematics, data interpretation and extended writing questions will also feature. You will develop skills in data analysis, essay writing, time management and recall.
- Grade C or above in Biology or a grade B and C in Core and Additional Science.
- Grade 4+ or higher in GCSE English Language and GCSE Maths Higher Tier.
Paper 1: externally assessed written exam- 2 hours 35%
Paper 2: externally assessed written exam- 2 hours 35%
Paper 3: externally assessed written exam- 2 hours 30%
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Kings of Wessex Academy directly.