Languages (Self-Taught Supported) AS & A Level at St Brendan's Sixth Form College
The Modern Foreign Languages Department is pleased to be able to provide a structure to support students who wish to gain an A-level in their mother tongue. For any languages not mentioned here, students should contact the Modern Languages Department directly.
Each student who wishes to be entered for an A-level examination will be presented with a clear ‘to do list’ based on the specifications set out by the examination boards. This will be monitored by a learning support tutor.
Some examinations are based on reading and writing skills but most include a speaking and listening components. The oral examinations for some languages take place externally.
- Unit 1: Family, Lifestyles, Media and Popular Culture
- Unit 2: Oral examination
- Unit 3: The Environment, The Multicultural Society and Social Issues. Two cultural topics (where applicable).
- Unit 4: Oral examination
- For the student to be successful, it is assumed that the linguistic component will be delivered at home and following the guidelines set by the Modern Foreign Languages Department.
- It is worth noting that the A-level is very rigorous and is more focused on knowledge rather than language ‘per se’.
- A student who is totally fluent in a foreign language but who does not complete the required research, cannot hope to gain a grade higher than C at A-level.
The focus is on:
- Examination technique in reading, writing, listening. Some courses have a speaking component.
- Minimum written work to be done as preparation for the written examination.
- Topics to be covered and standards required.
- Deadlines (monitored by the Department) to be met for each aspect of the course.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Brendan's Sixth Form College directly.