Business Studies A Level at Prior Pursglove And Stockton Sixth Form College
It is difficult to escape the effects of the world of business as every aspect of our lives are touched by the work of profit and non-profit making organisations. Business studies provides the opportunity to gain a deeper understanding of how such organisations function and manage their resources in order to meet a range of tactical and strategic objectives.
WHY SHOULD I STUDY BUSINESS STUDIES?
An understanding of Business Studies is becoming increasingly important in a world where advances in technology and communication have taken centre stage. This course is designed to give you the chance to explore real business situations and to be practical in the application of business concepts. It will also enable you to develop a depth of knowledge that will prove invaluable, whether you choose to pursue further education or a career in business or management.
USEFUL SKILLS & INTERESTS
You will be suited to Business Studies if you:
- Are interested in current national and international business issues, and actively read daily newspapers
- Want to understand about the choices facing organisations, and how decisions are made
- Enjoy analysing case studies
- Wish to pursue a career in management, economics, business, finance, etc.
YEAR 1 CONTENT
The course content includes the following topics/themes.
- What is business?
- Managers, leadership and decision making
- Decision making to improve marketing performance
- Decision making to improve operational performance
- Decision making to improve financial performance
- Decision making to improve human resource performance
YEAR 2 CONTENT
The A level incorporates the same six topics as year one, plus the following additional topics:
- Analysing the strategic position of a business
- Choosing strategic direction
- Strategic methods: how to pursue strategies
- Managing strategic change
You need to have met the standard college entry requirements of five GCSEs grade C or above. Including a GCSE grade C or above in English and preferably Maths.
The A level is assessed by three - two hour written exams at the end of the course.
- Paper 1: Multiple-choice questions, short answer and two essays
- Paper 2: Three compulsory data response questions
- Paper 3: One compulsory case study consisting of six questions
Many students progress on to business related degrees or work based training.
Some of the students who studied this course at Prior Pursglove College progressed on to:
- Hull University - Computer Science / Law
- Leeds University – International Business & Economics / Management with Marketing
- Manchester Met University – Business / Events Management / Management (Marketing)
- Newcastle University – Accounting & Finance / Business Management
- Northumbria University - Business Leadership & Corporate / Business Management
- Nottingham Trent University – Business Management
- Teesside University – Business Management
- University of Northampton – Business Entrepreneurship
- University of Westminster – International Marketing
- York St John University – Accounting & Finance
Business Studies is a vocational skill as well as an academic subject. As with any vocational skill you will only improve with constant practice. You must be prepared to put a lot of time in on practical accounting exercises to ensure success.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Prior Pursglove And Stockton Sixth Form College directly.