Chemistry A Level at Claremont High School Academy
As well as practical knowledge of the subject, chemistry students develop many other skills prized by employers, such as problem solving, numeracy, communication, creativity and data analysis. Gaining these skills means that you can have a future in all sorts of careers from finance to public relations.
Your future in Chemistry
Global change is creating enormous challenges relating to human health, energy and scarce natural resources. These challenges offer excellent future opportunities to people who study chemistry.
Energy and the environment
Chemistry is helping us to cope with increasing pressures on energy, food, water and other scarce natural resources and to live more sustainably.
Chemistry is helping to improve and maintain human health for all in a rapidly changing world.
Lifestyle and recreation
From skincare to sport.... Chemistry is all around us.
Chemistry outside the classroom
The ethos of the department is that learning should not be confined to the classroom/school laboratory. We seek opportunities for our students to experience different forms of learning outside school and more importantly to work with other departments, gaining skills that will maximise their potential. Here are some of the enrichment activities we organise:
- Chemistry Olympiad Competition (Years 12 &13)
- Lectures at universities including UCL and Imperial College, London
- Spectroscopy Day - UCL & Imperial Vision & POTMED
- Conference for prospective medical students, Imperial College Medical School
- University taster days -Royal Society Summer Exhibition, Chemistry/Materials Workshops – Oxford University
- Minimum of B grade in GCSE Chemistry or BB at Dual Science
- Minimum of B grade in GCSE Mathematics
- Useful subject entry requirements: A grade B or above in English
To progress on to A2, preference will be given to students with a minimum of a grade ‘D’ at AS Chemistry.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Claremont High School Academy directly.