Psychology AS/A Level at Reigate College
Psychology is the scientific study of mind and behaviour. It relates to every aspect of our daily lives, as it helps us to understand the world we live in and predict the behaviour of the people around us.
Students will need Grade C or above in GCSE English Language or English Literature, Mathematics and a science. At least one of these must be a Grade B
This is a new subject for most students, and therefore students must be prepared to learn a large number of new and complex concepts relatively quickly.
This would suit students who are:
- open to new ideas
- able to express ideas verbally
- able to analyse data
- able to work independently or as a group
- organised in the way they structure their class notes
- able to evaluate using empirical evidence
Students should be good at written and spoken communication, as well as competent with data analysis.
This course is 100% examination based. There are two exams for the AS Level and three exams for the A Level course.
The field of Psychology is vast as it encapsulates all human behaviour. It is an extremely well respected and valued subject by employers, businesses and higher education establishments. It is considered to be a science, yet its students are required to have many other skill sets, including essay writing.
Occupations that are commonly associated with Psychology include:
- The Civil Service
- Human Resources
- Police Service
- Counselling Services
- Social Work
Psychology AS/A Level students have the opportunity to take part in a variety of course related experiences. These have included:
- A visit to London Zoo to see how behaviourism is used to train animals with regards to feeding and receiving medical treatment.
- A trip to Bethlem Hospital to learn about ethical issues in the treatment of mental illness
- An excursion to the Freud museum in London
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Reigate College directly.