Professional Cookery (Preparation and Cookery) NVQ Diploma Level 3 at St Helens College
This course is suitable for those who may have successfully completed a level 2 qualification in food preparation and cooking. It would also be suitable for those who possess at least three years work experience within the food industry or those who are seeking to broaden their knowledge of preparing, cooking and finishing food.
Students will learn new techniques and skills in butchery, larder preparations, fine cookery, sauce work, production of fine pastries and confectionery. Students will learn the theory behind the practice and develop the confidence needed to succeed in a culinary career. The following areas will be covered:
- Cooking and finishing complex fish, meat, poultry, vegetable, shellfish and game dishes
- Preparing, cooking and finishing complex hot sauces, dressing and cold sauces
- Preparing, cooking and finishing soups, fresh pasta dishes, bread and dough products, cakes, sponges biscuits, scones and pastry products
- Adhering to health, hygiene, safety and security procedures
- Maintaining food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
- Developing productive working relationships with colleagues
You will need to be driven, ambitious, able to work as part of a team, dedicated to learning and passionate about food.
In terms of qualifications - you may have already gained one of the following: level 2 NVQ in Professional Cookery, Level 2 Diploma in Professional Cookery, 706/2 City and Guilds - Cookery for the Catering Industry or Food Production and Cooking.
Alternatively you may have work experience and will have been employed in the catering industry as a cook or chef for at least three years. This is the perfect course to help you to gain formal catering qualifications to complement your work experience.
You will be assessed through a series of written assignments, food cooking, preparing and serving observations, short tests and a pastry exam.
Course fees are dependent on your personal circumstances and you may be eligible for funding.
You will be equipped with the knowledge and skills needed to pursue a career in the hospitality industry, potentially gaining employment in a range of food outlets such as hotels, pubs, restaurants and cruise liners.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Helens College directly.