Spanish AS & A Level at Caterham High School
During the course you will read and listen to authentic Spanish materials and will study aspects of the contemporary society, cultural background and heritage of a country where the language is spoken. You will have opportunities to develop your understanding and awareness of spiritual, moral, ethical, environmental, health and European issues. You will extend and develop your knowledge of the grammar and vocabulary of Spanish and will use this to speak, write, read and listen to the language.
In addition, you will learn how to:
- be an effective communicator
- speak and write the language in a range of different situations and for different purposes
- use the language to express facts and ideas
- use the language to present explanations, opinions and information
Students will study the following topics:
Theme 1: Social Issues and Trends
- Use of the Internet
- Gender equality
Theme 2: Political and Artistic Culture
- Influence of celebrities and idols
- Regional Identity in Spain
- Spanish heritage
At AS Level, students will study a film or book which will be assessed in the writing paper.
Theme 3: Immigration and multicultural society
- Origins of Spanish immigration
- Muslim influence in Andalusian culture
- Influence of immigration in North Africa and Latin America
- Benefits and challenges of immigration
Theme 4: Franco’s dictatorship and transition to democracy
- The role of King Juan Carlos
- Spanish Civil War
- Political oppression / censorship
- Divisions in society
At A2 level, students will study the film or book they did at AS in more depth and will also study a further piece of literature. Both will be assessed in the writing paper.
At A2 level, part of the speaking examinations will be based on an independent research project of the students’ choice.
7 GCSE’s at grade A*–C including Maths, English at grade C/grade 4 and Spanish. Spanish speakers who do not have a qualification in Spanish will need to undertake an assessment by the Spanish Department to establish whether they are suitable for this course.
AS Assessment Format
- Paper 1: Listening, reading and writing (45%) (listening, reading and translation into English)
- Paper 2: Writing (25%) (Translation into Spanish, question on book/film)
- Paper 3: Speaking (30%) 6–7min (each) discussion on 2 different sub-themes. Stimulus card with follow up questions.
A2 Assessment Format
- Paper 1: 2hours 30 minutes (40%) You will answer a range of reading and listening comprehension questions and will be able to control how often you hear the listening material. You will translate from Spanish into English and from English into Spanish.
- Paper 2: 2 hours (30%) You will write an essay about a text you have studied, then a second essay about a film or another text you have studied.
- Paper 3: A speaking test lasting 16–18 minutes (30%) This will be conducted by one of your teachers. You will discuss a theme from the topics list and a second theme you have researched yourself.
Degrees in Spanish, Business Studies with Spanish, European Studies, Sciences with Spanish, Law with Spanish. Careers in translating, the travel industry, interpreting, Au Pair work and bi-lingual secretarial work. Languages are viewed as a desirable qualification by many employers showing good communication skills.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Caterham High School directly.