Physical Education A-Level at Lancaster Girls' Grammar School
This course builds on the student’s experience from Key Stage 4 to enhance their knowledge and increase their understanding of the factors that affect performance and participation in Physical Education. In previous years students have studied PE alongside Biology and Psychology as they have enjoyed the similarities and differences between them, although it has also been combined with a wide range of other subjects.
The qualification aims to:
- equip students with skills and knowledge required for higher education or the world of work
- offer students the opportunity to experience and develop an interest in a variety of roles in sport
- develop an appreciation of social, moral and cultural issues which affect participation and performance in physical activity
- improve the skills necessary to analyse, evaluate and improve performance
- develop an understanding of the factors influencing performance
Unit 1 Applied Physiology, Skill Acquisitions & Opportunities for Participation
Unit 2 Assessed as a performer, official or coach
Unit 3 Physiology, Sports Psychology & Contemporary Issues
Unit 4 Candidates perform, analyse and evaluate their own performance.
We do have a minimum requirement of five grade Bs or higher at GCSE. English Language (minimum Grade C) is also required. There are also entry requirements linked to most AS subjects (usually grade B or better). Admission to Year 13 is currently set at 3 grade Ds from your AS results.
Grade C or above at GCSE level in English, Mathematics and Science. An interest in sport and an active involvement in sport(s) outside of school is advisable.
- 60% of AS
- Opportunities for and the effects of leading a Healthy and Active Lifestyle
- 2 hour written exam
- 40% of AS
- Analysis and evaluation of physical activity as a performer and/or adopted roles
- Internal assessment
Sport and fitness is a huge industry and you can be part of it. If you’re keen on sport you can make a living from your passion. PE opens up a whole number of career options ranging from sport scientist, PE teacher, event organiser, armed forces, emergency services and physiotherapist. Many of our students have also gone on to study Medicine at university.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Lancaster Girls' Grammar School directly.