Further Mathematics A Level at Poole High School
Further Mathematics is one of the most highly respected subjects offered at A-Level. It is recognized by the very top Universities for its challenging content and is therefore an excellent qualification to obtain. By taking an A or AS in Further Mathematics you will
• deepen your knowledge and understanding of pure mathematics,
• be able to study a wider range of applied mathematics relevant to your future choice of degree/employment,
• Develop your problem-solving and analytical skills, which are so valued by employers,
• Increase your success at university in maths-based subjects like Engineering, Sciences, Computing, Economics, and of course Mathematics itself.
• Further Pure 1 and 2
• Mechanics 1 and 2
• Statistics 2 and 3
• Decision 2
Which students do well at A-Level Maths?
Due to the highly academic nature of A-Level Mathematics Courses, entry to the full A Level is restricted to students who have achieved an A or better on the Higher Level GCSE paper.
This course runs alongside the A-Level Mathematics course and extends it by covering a variety of areas in greater detail.
- GCSE Maths – Grade A
- *Must also take A-Level Maths
• Three modular examinations (Further Pure 1, Statistics 2 and Mechanics 1) in year 12 (AS)
• Three modular examinations (Further Pure 2, Decision 2 and either Mechanics 2 or Statistics 3) in Year 13 (A2)
Text books, tuition and course materials are provided free, however contributions are requested from parents for trips and visits that may support learning in school. Some students will be eligible for the 16-19 Bursary Fund, which is a government-provided fund for sixth form students facing financial hardship. It can help towards costs for travel, equipment (for example in PE or Food Technology), trips and books.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Poole High School directly.