Bricklaying Group A Diploma Level 1 at Eastleigh College
This programme is for those who have an interest in brickwork and wish to gain employment in the industry.
Bricklaying is the most recognised construction profession and many people do not realise just how many different materials bricklayers can work with, or the different effects they can create. Work can be as diverse as building fireplaces or architectural features, through to constructing housing estates, office blocks or factories.
The theory content of the qualification, together with knowledge of the construction industry, will be covered in formal classroom sessions.
You will have the opportunity to study the following subjects:
- Building brick and block walling
- Setting out masonry structures
- Efficient working practices
- Store materials and equipment
- Health and safty
You will be expected to be in college for approximately 16 hours per week. Students are given a timetabled scheme of work to guide practical and theory progress.
- 4 GCSEs at grade A*-E including English, Maths and a Science or IT subject are required.
- A good achievement and attendance report from school, a successful interview in college and a short Maths test are also required.
- Students with no prior building experience may be required to attend a taster session to demonstrate aptitude and commitment.
You will be assessed continually through the completion of practical tasks, projects and workbooks. Assessment will be on an individual basis and there is a final multiple choice paper.
You will need to purchase steel toe-capped shoes and overalls for this programme.
During Year One of the programme students will work towards Level 1 Bricklaying and a relevant level of Functional Skills.
On successful completion of the programme, combined with a good attendance record and a good attitude to work, students should be able to progress onto to the Level 2 Bricklaying.
On successful completion of this programme, you may wish to consider Level 3 Bricklaying at Eastleigh College or alternatively, once you are in employment or an Apprenticeship, you can study part-time for the NVQ in Brickwork, using your employment as work experience.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Eastleigh College directly.