Public Services Level 3 90 Credit Diploma at New College Durham
This course leads to the award of the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Public Services. This qualification will prepare you for a career within Uniformed and Public Service organisations. It is broadly equivalent to 3 A Levels. The Extended Diploma is 180 Credits, consisting of core and optional units. You may wish to gain the qualification in order to enter a specialist area of employment or to progress to a higher education foundation degree, HND or other professional development programme.
The aims of the programme are to:
- Provide an educational foundation for a range of careers in the Uniformed and Public Services
- Provide specialised studies directly relevant to individual vocations and professions in which you are currently working or intending to seek employment
- Enable you to make an immediate contribution in employment
- Provide flexibility, knowledge, skills and motivation as a basis for future studies and career development
- Develop your ability in Uniformed and Public Service environments through effective use of the knowledge and skills gained in different parts of the programme
- Develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance in working life.
- Government, Policies and the Public Services
- Leadership and Teamwork in the Public Services (15 Credits)
- Citizenship, Diversity and the Public Services (15 Credits)
- Understanding Discipline in the Uniformed Public Services
- Fitness Testing for the Uniformed Public Services
- Skills for Land-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Employment in the Uniformed Public Services
- Planning and Management of Major Incidents
- Land Navigation by Map and Compass
- Exercise, Health and Lifestyle
- Outdoor and Adventurous Expeditions
- Command and Control in the Uniformed Public Services
- Career Planning for the Public Services
- Extended Research in Public Services
The course is designed primarily for those who plan to enter employment and who have reached the minimum age of 16 years. BTEC Level 3 qualifications have been designed on the assumption that they are available, without artificial barriers, which restrict access and progression, to everyone who can achieve the required standard. However, individuals who enter with at least one of the following criteria are more assured of success:
- Four GCSE passes at grade A* to C; (English and Maths)
- A BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Public Services at Merit or Distinction
- Any other appropriate Level 2 qualification at Merit or Distinction.
Mature applicants will be interviewed. Places on the Level 3 Extended Diploma are subject to minimum grade requirements as well as BKSB assessments in English and Maths and free writing exercises, to be held during the induction period.
New College Durham has a long tradition of BTEC Level 3 Diploma students progressing to Higher Education courses at HND or degree levels. It is likely that some students will take this Extended opportunity and the usual progression route would be via a Foundation Degree in Public & Community Services or equivalent qualification.Related careers
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact New College Durham directly.