Welding Skills Level 1 Award at North Hertfordshire College
Our engineering and welding courses include lots of opportunities for you to get hands-on experience of the world of work, including:
- Work experience with businesses like Weldability and other local businesses
- Innovative tools and technology such as 3D printer, laser cutter, traditional and advanced Computer Numerical Control (CNC) manufacturing facility. The area is further supported by industry standard software for Computer Aided Design (CAD) manufacturing, including that for electronics and circuit design. Welding plants for Manual Metal Arc (MMA), Metal Inert/Active Gas) (MIG/MAG), Tungsten Inert Gas (TIG), oxyacetylene cutting/brazing and plasma cutting, allowing our students to learn and refine their skills to industry standards.
- Guest talks from employers from the local industry.
- Visits to universities and industries help learners deepen their understanding of the sector.
The engineering and welding courses at NHC develop your knowledge and know-how in the sector through an engaging mix of both technical lessons and hands on practical experiences. You’ll advance your understanding of:
- Welding and fabrication: Welding and fabrication technology courses introduce engineering health and safety, preparation and quality control of welding projects, TIG/TAG/MMA welding for the engineering and construction industry and how to join plates in engineering construction by MIG/MAG welding.
- You will develop your understanding of the principles, methods and technology involved in engineering maintenance. It will focus on the welding of thick plate, thin plate and sheet metal, covering manufacturing, engineering and cutting techniques and assembly of engineering components as well as engineering environmental awareness.
- You will develop skills in handling tungsten inert gas, metal inert gas. You will also learn how to produce good weld joints, manual metal arc, oxy-acetylene, brazing, soldering as well as thermal and plasma cutting skills.
Through this course you’ll learn about:
- MIG welding skills
- TIG welding skills
- MIMA welding skills
- Gas welding skills
- Brazing & soldering
- Thermal cutting.
Four GCSEs at grade E or above - including maths and English grade E or entry level functional skills.
This course is assessed through assignments, projects and practical tests. You’ll also sit exams if you’re doing maths or English GCSE or functional skills.
Price on application.
There are no tuition fees for students aged 16-18 years.
If you are over 18, please speak to a client advisor.
Possible charges for any trips, visits, materials and uniform if required offered during the year will be independent of the tuition fees or any other student finance. Financial help may be available for these costs, please contact Student Services for more information.
Having successfully completed this course, you’ll be able to progress to:
- Level 2 courses including the level 2 diploma in fabrication & welding engineering technology
- Paid employment in the sector.
Please visit our website for further information - www.nhc.ac.uk
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact North Hertfordshire College directly.