Design and Technology: Product Design A level at Woking College
This course will encourage you to take a broad view of Technology and Design. You will develop and extend your interests, ideas, and capability to design through technical, freehand drawing and CAD through to realisation of making products. You will learn and appreciate the relationships between design, materials and manufacturing, as well as marketing and sustainability issues surrounding product design. The coursework is both written and practical. At the end of the year, your work will be exhibited in our Art & Design show at The Lightbox gallery in Woking.
Component 1 - Coursework: Portfolio of Creative Skills (Portfolio - 30%)
- Section A: Product investigation and design briefs
- Section B: Product manufacture
Component 2 - Examination: Design Technology in Practice (1 hour, 30 minutes - 20%)
- Section A: Materials and processes
- Section B: Industrial and commercial practices
Component 3 - Examination: Designing for the Future (2 hours - 20%)
- Section A: Modern design and manufacturing practices
- Section B: Contemporary design issues
- Section C: Sustainable product design
Component 4 - Coursework: Commercial Design (Portfolio - 30%)
- Section A: Design and make a product of choice solving a design problem for multiple users.
Five A*- C grades (or equivalent 4+) including at least a C grade in a D&T subject
Coursework = 60%, Examination = 40%
Previous students have gone onto study Architecture, Engineering, Product Design, Graphic Design, Interior Design, 3D Design, Industrials Design and other similar subjects at University. Whilst others student have gone straight into the world of work or found Apprenticeships in related areas such as Graphic Design, Print Design and Packaging Design.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Woking College directly.