Design and Technology - Textiles - A-Level at St Leonards Catholic School
This syllabus has been designed to encourage pupils to take a broad view of the subject and to develop their capacity to design and make products and to appreciate the complex relations between design, materials, manufacture and marketing. Product design is intended to reflect the wide-ranging activities of professional designers and covers a mixture of materials. In any Design and Technology course it is important that pupils can communicate their thinking clearly and represent their ideas graphically, so Graphics will form an integral part of our course. The course is intended for those who are interested in resolving practical problems; and using the skills of designing and communicating which are associated with developing ideas into a tangible form; it concentrates upon forming a bridge between theory and practice. This course provides the opportunity for students to specialise in Textiles.
- each applicant must achieve at least eight GCSE or equivalent Level 2 Qualification passes at grade A*-G
- each applicant must achieve at least five GCSE passes1 at grade A*-C
- each applicant must achieve at least four GCSE B grades including at least a grade B2 in each subject to be taken at AS Level (see course entry requirements listed in section 6 of this admissions policy).
- any applicant wishing to study a science subject (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) at AS Level must achieve at least a grade B in GCSE Additional Science if taking double science rather than separate sciences. If taking separate sciences then the applicant must achieve at least a grade B in the science subject to be taken at AS Level.
- any applicant wishing to study a subject at AS that they are not currently studying at GCSE must consult the list of entry requirements listed in section 6 of this admissions policy.
- any applicant currently studying a subject at GCSE that they wish to continue to study at AS must achieve at least a grade B in that subject at GCSE.
- each applicant must study a minimum of four AS Level courses to completion in Year 12 and a minimum of three A2 Level courses to completion in Year 13.
- each applicant must study the General Religious Education Course to completion
Further and Higher Education courses in Textile Science, Fashion and Design, Consumer Science, Dressmaking, Tailoring, Soft Furnishings, Teacher Training; Careers in the field of textile manufacturing, textile design, garment design, the garment construction industry, merchandising and buying.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Leonards Catholic School directly.