Golf Academy at Durham Sixth Form Centre
Combine yourstudies with a ‘golf-rich’ programme of activities. Since 2010 Durham Sixth Form Centre has maintained a highly successful collaborative partnership with Ramside Golf Club. Join the No. 1 Golf Academy in the North East.
Combine your studies with a ‘golf-rich’ programme of activities. Since 2010 Durham Sixth Form Centre has maintained a highly successful collaborative partnership with Ramside Golf Club, resulting in our students reaching The National Finals of the ICT & BSG Leagues for the last six years.
Students undertaking a Golf Academy programme of study are talented individuals who want to combine either a BTEC Sports course or an A-level programme of study whilst receiving specialist coaching from Ramside Golf Club’s head coach, Kevin Jackson.
In addition to undertaking their academic studies, students will:
- Receive 4 hours of coaching per week at Ramside Golf Club. Have the opportunity to undertake a Level 1 PGA Coaching Award, DBS clearance check and safeguarding course, enabling students to gain a full PGA coaching licence.
- Represent Durham Sixth Form Centre in the British Schools and Colleges and the Intercollegiate Tour Leagues, have the opportunity to participate in a European Golf event, Durham County Schools Golf Tournament as well as the British Colleges ‘Open’ Championships.
- Gain their Community Sports Leader Award (CSLA) and for those committed students, the opportunity to take their Higher Sports Leader Award (only available to students following the BTEC Extended Diploma in Sport route).
- Weekly strength and conditioning sessions at Ramside/ Freeman’s Quay Leisure Centre.
- Have the option of attending a winter training camp in Spain/Portugal.
- Have full membership rights at Ramside Golf Club
There are a range of courses and pathways available to you at Durham Sixth Form Centre depending on your GCSE results and academic profile. In order to enrol with us as a student, you must have the minimum of 5 A*-C GCSE grades (or equivalent). In addition, individual subjects have specific entry requirements, which will be discussed with you during the application and enrolment process. Students who do not achieve a grade C or above (or numerical equivalent) in GCSE English and/or mathematics will be required to continue studying these subjects at Durham Sixth Form Centre.
If you do not meet our entry requirements but are still keen to study at Durham Sixth Form Centre, please contact us to discuss your options.
All students wishing to be considered for a place on the Golf Academy Programme need to attend an assessment day at Ramside Golf Club. Assessment days will be held between April – July.
Due to the practical nature of this programme, all Academy students require a full golf kit costing £150, comprising of a Ping golf bag, Galvin Green polo shirts and fleece top.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Durham Sixth Form Centre directly.