Beauty Therapy VRQ Level 2 at Calderdale College
This course will be of interest to anyone intending to enter a career in Beauty Therapy.
During the course you will learn, practice and perform on paying clients, a variety of treatments, providing you with the necessary skills for the world of work. During the year you will participate in providing treatments for ‘Days of Beauty’ and all learners will have the opportunity to engage in one week’s work experience in industry (Salons or Spa’s) All learners will be encouraged to use their own initiative and work more independently, whilst building their confidence and communication skills. All learners will work to industry standards and complete Functional skills dependent on GCSE grades. Some of the units Covered include:
- Manicure & Pedicure – apply all types of hand and feet treatments as well as provide 2 types of nail finish
- Eye Brows and Lashes – types of eyebrow shaping, tinting eyebrows and lashes and applying 2 types of artificial lashes
- Waxing – you will learn and carry out different waxing techniques and use various types of waxing products on the appropriate parts of the body
- Make-Up – identifying all skin types and applying make-up for various occasions to all client groups
- Facials – you will learn how to treat different skin conditions, use various massage techniques, identify and use facial products and equipment, apply mask treatments and provide advice
Students must possess NVQ 1 Beauty Therapy or 4 GCSEs at grade D or grade 3 or above to include Maths and English. Adult learners with no formal qualifications will be considered following the outcome of an interview. Applicants will be interviewed and asked to complete short written and dexterity assessments. Applicants will be expected to find a work placement for one day a week and two separate block weeks during the course.
Assessment is continuous throughout the course by:
- Practical observation
- Oral questioning
- Written assessment
- Gola test online all of which builds up into a portfolio of evidence.
Each of the practical BT units are also assessed via an independant assessment paper.
In most cases students aged 18 and under who wish to enrol on a full time further education course will have their fees waived. Students who are aged 19 and over and who wish to enrol on a full time course should contact our Student Services Team on 01422-399367 for more information.
On completion you will be able to progress on to either the Level 3 in Beauty Therapy or the Advanced Apprenticeship to further develop your skills to become a first class Beauty Therapist. Progression could also include the Level 3 Diploma in Theatrical Special Effects, Hair and Media Make-Up course.
Please complete an application form and return it to us at the following freepost address:-
Calderdale College Central Admissions Unit, FREEPOST HX2 004, Francis Street, Halifax, HX1 3BR
or click on the link to apply online: http://www.calderdale.ac.uk/courses/view/nvq-level-2-beauty-therapy
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Calderdale College directly.