Applied Science – Forensics (L3) BTEC Extended Diploma at Stanmore College
This course is intended for anyone wishing to enter a career in forensic science, and deepens the learner’s experience in preparation for the world of work. It is equivalent to 3 A levels.
This is a two-year, full-time course.
Students need to complete 18 units (9 in each year), to gain their BTEC National Diploma award. 6 units are core units, which all students take. They introduce fundamentals of science, working in the science industry, scientific investigation and practical techniques and perceptions of science. Students will also study a range of 12 other units that include:
- Physiology of Human Body Systems
- Forensic Evidence Collection and Analysis
- Genetics and Genetic Engineering
- Medical Physics Techniques
- Practical Chemical Analysis
- Forensic Fire Investigation
- Criminal Investigation Procedures
- 4 GCSEs at grade C or above, including English, maths, and science
- *or Merit in Level 2 Applied Science, with English and maths at GCSE grade C
- materials: £35 towards the cost of textbooks and visits, etc.
Continuous portfolio-based assessment covering a variety of scientific investigations.
Progression could be into employment where professional body examinations or NVQs may be taken, or students could continue to university level programmes in this area.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Stanmore College directly.