Complementary Therapies Level 3 Diploma at Wirral Metropolitan College
This qualification will provide you with the skills to communicate with the client and plan and deliver complementary therapy treatments. You will acquire the knowledge of anatomy & physiology, consultation techniques and the common effects and techniques of massage, aromatherapy and reflexology in order to provide complementary therapy treatments.
The units you will study are:
- Principles and practice of complementary therapies
- Business practice for complementary therapies
- Health, safety and hygiene for complementary therapies
- Knowledge of anatomy, physiology and pathology for complementary therapies
- Knowledge of less common pathology for complementary therapies
- Provide body massage for complementary therapies
- Reflective practice for body massage
- Provide aromatherapy
- Reflective practice for aromatherapy
- Provide reflexology
- Reflective practice for reflexology
- You must have a level 2 qualification or equivalent.
- It is essential that you can demonstrate competence in dealing with clients, using information for planning treatments and providing such treatments safely and effectively.
- Manual dexterity and physical stamina are very important as there are times when it may be necessary to stand for long periods e.g. delivering body massage treatments.
- You will need to provide a character reference before or at interview. The offer of a place on this course is dependent upon a satisfactory reference.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course.
Assessments continue throughout the course both in practical and theory sessions and you will required to complete a large number of case studies details of which will be given during induction. As some of the case study treatments will be completed outside of college time you will also be expected to ensure you have the relevant insurance to carry out these treatments, details of which will be given at induction.
You will be required to purchase a kit which will contain the essential oils required to complete the course at the cost of approximately £180. You will also need a uniform.
This qualification provides progression to further training in other complementary therapies, level 4 qualifications, foundation degrees or degrees in complementary therapy.It will also lead to registration with:
- Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council
- General Regulatory Council for Complimentary Therapies
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A*-C in English and maths already
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wirral Metropolitan College directly.