Travel and Tourism BTEC Extended Certificate Level 2 at City College Plymouth
If you are excited about the challenge of the holiday experience for tomorrow's tourists then our study programme will give you a solid foundation of knowledge to support your career ambitions. We will teach you skills that are current, relevant and topical. You can use our course as a springboard to more advanced work-related qualifications or you might just decide to continue your training in your choice of work. There are several visits to assist with the completion of coursework and these include places such as Paignton Zoo, Woodlands and tourist attractions in London. There are also optional visits to vibrant destinations such as New York or an action packed visit to Disneyland Paris.
The core units to be studied are:
- the UK travel and tourism sector
- understanding customer service in travel and tourism
- understanding the nature and effects of world travel.
In addition to the core units, other specialist units may include; European holiday destinations, interpersonal skills for holiday reps, exploring airports and airlines, and UK travel agency operations.
The course also includes compulsory local and national visits which are linked to the learning outcomes. Get your passport ready … there may be the opportunity to take part in optional residential trips such as Disneyland Paris and New York. This will assist with developing your transferrable skills and you will gain invaluable life experiences.
Your individualised study programme will be made up of the following four areas:
- the qualification you are studying
- English and maths
- work experience
- other activities to develop your personal skills e.g. preparing you for employment, training or higher/further education.
In our experience in order to be successful on this level of course you will need one of the following:
- four GCSEs at grades D-F (including English and maths)
- a BTEC foundation diploma in a related subject
- an NVQ level 1/technical certificate in a related subject
- successful completion of the PLP/Prince's Trust programme
- equivalent qualifications or relevant work experience.
Yes, there are two units externally assessed.
On successful completion you may progress to:
- the level 3 course in travel and tourism at the College (subject to grades)
- a career in the travel and tourism industry.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact City College Plymouth directly.