AS/A2 Design and Technology: 3D Product Design at St John Fisher Catholic College - Trinity Sixth Form
D&T: Product Design is an exciting course which involves students in designing and making high quality products using both the latest Computer Aided Design / Manufacturing techniques and more traditional workshop processes.
The course is one of the few A Levels which enables students to develop all of the ‘Key Skills’.
During the course students learn about a wide range of issues relating to Design including Materials and Manufacturing Processes, Human Factors and Design History as well as developing their making and graphical skills - including Computer Aided Design.
- Develop an understanding of the physical and mechanical properties of a broad range of materials.
- Understand how these materials are used in specific applications.
- Understand the term "life cycle" and its relevance in the manufacture of products.
- Develop knowledge of the Health & Safety issues when working with materials and equipment.
- Learn about the use of Computer Aided Design(CAD) and Computer Aided Manufacture (CAM)
- Learn about the use of basic Qualit Control methods (QC) and how these can be used to provide Quality Assurance (QA)
- Begin to develop knowledge and understanding of the broader issues for the designer such as: Environmental sustainability, Ergonomics and Anthropometrics.
- Consider inclusive design and consumer safety.
Five A*-C grades at GCSE including English and Maths, ideally with a B grade or above in a Design subject.
The Product Design A Level has 3 assessments:
Exam Paper 1-(2hrs)-25% of A Level
Core technical principles and core designing/making principles. This will be a mixture of short answer, multiple choice and extended response.
Exam paper 2-(2hrs)-25% of A Level
Assessing specialist knowledge, technical and designing/making principles. This will be a mixture of short answer, multiple choice and extended response questions including a Product Analysis and questions on commercial manufacture.
Coursework project - 50% of A Level
45 hr Design and make task. Context set by exam board.
This course i designed for students who aspire to be the next generation of people who think creatively and apply ideas realistically and technologically
The course would provide further progression into careers such as :
- Engineering and Architecture
- Manufacturing and Production
- Designing and Buying
- Technical and Technological Support
- Buying and Merchandising
- Inventing and Entrepreneurial enterprise
You can expect:
- Lots of challenging work in the form of creative briefs, design and make activities (DMA's) and focussed practical tasks.
- Theory lessons to build on your knowledge and understanding
- Homework to challenge your thinking and extend on your capabilites.
In return you will receive:
- Lots of support from your subject tutors and specialist advice on all aspects of the course.
Product Design will be taught at the St John Fisher site.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St John Fisher Catholic College - Trinity Sixth Form directly.