Mathematics *FEES PAYABLE* at Bedstone College
Since September 1994 the Maths Department has followed what is known as an A level modular course with the Cambridge Board. Modular A level offers a more flexible approach to study. Students study 6 modules and these are examined separately in each module by a traditional 1 hour 30 minutes written examination.
In the Lower Sixth, the department offers both A/S Maths and A/S Further Maths. Those doing A/S Further Maths need also to do A/S Maths.
The A/S Maths course comprises of three modules:
* Core 1 - This reinforces ideas met on the higher GCSE course in particular, algebraic techniques, graphs, geometry etc. It also introduces ideas of differentiation.
* Mechanics 1 - This introduces the laws of motion, including applications to forces and acceleration. This is particularly useful for candidates studying Physics as a separate A Level.
* Core 2 - This introduces the concept of integration and develops the Core 1 syllabus further.
The A/2 Maths course comprises of three modules as follows :
* Statistics 1 -This develops ideas met in higher GCSE Maths such as means, mode, medians and interquartile ranges. New ideas include; permutations and combinations, linear regression & discrete variables.
* Core 3 -This develops series expansions, higher level differentiation and integration techniques, binomial theorems and iterative methods.
* Core 4 -This develops knowledge of trigonometric functions (in particular how to integrate and differentiate them), vectors and differential equations.
5 GCSEs at grade C or above.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bedstone College directly.