Law A - AS Level at Shooters Hill Sixth Form College
Law is a lively and interesting subject ideal for anybody interested in increasing understanding of society and the meaning of justice.
Those who study this course will have the English, analytical and evaluative skills to complete a Degree at university as well as access a huge range of professional careers
By studying Law, students can look forward to:
- Participating in Mock trials
- Learning exciting and important subjects such as Murder, Manslaughter, Theft, Fraud, Negligence and more.
- Go on trips to Parliament and the Old Bailey Crown Court to witness real cases
Students will also have the benefit of:
- Strengthened communication skills
- Continued support through master classes and comprehensive revision booklets
- Encouragement and motivation for success on the course
- Learning in a fun, enjoyable, relaxed environment
A Level Law has four units of assessment:
Unit 1: Law Making and Legal System
This unit concentrates on various aspects of the English Legal System, principles of sentencing; lay magistrates; juries; doctrine of precedent; Acts of Parliament; delegated legislation, statutory interpretation and more.
Unit 2: Concepts of Liability
Criminal and Tort Law will be explored by learning about concepts such as mens rea, actus reus, non-fatal offences, duty of care and breach of duty.
Unit 3: Criminal Law (Offences Against the Person)
This unit will explore and separate the difference between murder and manslaughter, as well as looking deeper into non-fatal offences.
Unit 4: Criminal Law ( Offences Against Property)
Offence such as theft, robbery, burglary, blackmail, criminal damage and more will be explored.
5 GCSEs Grade A – C A minimum of Grade C in English To continue to A2 in this subject, you will need to achieve a C at AS.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Shooters Hill Sixth Form College directly.