Hairdressing (Work-based) Advanced Apprenticeship at Eastleigh College
The Advanced Apprenticeship in Hairdressing builds upon the skills and knowledge that is acquired at Level 2 and develops advanced creative skills as well as business skills.
The Apprenticeship is the main progression route for those who have completed an Intermediate Apprenticeship in Hairdressing, but may also be suitable for those who have relevant qualifications and/or experience at Level 2 but do not have a Level 3 hairdressing qualification.
You will achieve a Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Hairdressing. Unless exempt on entry, you will also achieve Level 2 Functional Skills qualifications in English and maths.
This apprenticeship is offered through:
- day release attendance at either Eastleigh Colleges Desborough campus (HAAP3)
- day release attendance at Above Bar Training in Southampton city centre (HAAB3)
- work-based learning (HWB31)
If you select day release you will attend college one day per week during term time and spend the rest of your time earning and learning in the workplace.
If you select work-based learning you will be visited in the workplace by a college assessor who will also work with you to develop your job knowledge.
The Apprenticeship includes the following mandatory core units
- Creatively Cut Hair Using a Combination of Techniques
- Creatively Colour and Lighten Hair
- Provide Client Consultation Services
The list of optional units includes:
- Fulfil Salon Reception Duties
- Provide a Variety of Relaxing Services
- Hair Colour Correction Services
- Provide Creative Hair Extension Services
- Create a Variety of Permed Effects
- Develop, Enhance and Evaluate Your Creative Hairdressing Skills
- Provide Specialist Hair and Scalp Treatments
- Contribute to the Planning, Implementation and Evaluation Of Promotional Activities
- Contribute to the Financial Effectiveness of the Business
- Cut Men's Hairstyles.
- Entry is subject to interview and assessment.
- You will need to have relevant employment.
In addition, you need to have
- 4 GCSEs at grade D or higher, including English and Maths
- or have achieved a Level 1 hairdressing qualification
- or have relevant experience and be able to demonstrate ability equivalent to, or exceeding Level 1 in English and Maths.
You will be assessed on a continuous basis through a combination of knowledge and practical assessment activities, including assessment of activities in the workplace.
Your progress will be continuously monitored and supported by an Apprenticeship Achievement Officer.
Advanced apprentices may progress onto employment as a hairdresser or stylist, or other job roles in the hairdressing related industries.
There is also the opportunity to progress onto higher education, such as a Foundation degree in Hairdressing and Salon Management or other programmes.
There is also a good range of Continuous Professional Development courses related to working in the hair and beauty sector.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Eastleigh College directly.