Design and Technology Product Design (Resistant Materials) at Tollbar Academy
This specification encourages you to take a broad view of design and technology in
order to develop your capacity to design and make products. The following areas will
be focused on:
• Initiate design solutions, develop, test and trial working models and prototypes;
• Develop and sustain imagination, innovation and flair when working with concepts
• Develop an understanding of contemporary design and technological practices
and consider the uses and effects of new technologies and modern materials;
• Develop thinking skills, financial capability, enterprise and entrepreneurial skills.
Therefore the work covered is intended to develop and extend your knowledge and
understanding of the associated theoretical aspects, and enhance your capabilities
working in related practical contexts.
The core content includes:
• The main material groups - types, properties, finishes, fabrication and applications;
• Manufacturing systems;
• The use of digital technology in designing and manufacturing processes;
• Commercial practice;
• Health and Safety of designers, makers and the public;
• The impact of design and manufacturing on the environment;
• Value issues.
For both courses you will have achieved an A*-B in a related GCSE Technology course plus A*-B in English.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Tollbar Academy directly.