Health and Social Care A level at The Bushey Academy
The aims of this course are to encourage students to:
- develop and sustain an interest in health, early-years care and education, social care and issues affecting the care sector.
- acquire knowledge and understanding of health, early-years care and education and issues affecting the health and social sector.
- develop skills that will enable them to make an effective contribution to the care sector including skills of research, evaluation and problem-solving in a work related context:
- apply knowledge, understanding and skills.
- prepare for further study and training.
This course is made up of six units of study. Three units are covered each year.
In Year 12, the first unit is Promoting Quality Care, which covers attitude and prejudices, rights and responsibilities, facilitation of access to services, values of care and promotion of quality care. The second unit is Communication in Care Settings, covering types of communication, factors that support and inhibit communication, theories of communication and skills related to communication. The third unit is Promoting good health covering the principles of health and well-being and health campaigns.
In Year 13, the first unit is Care Practice and Provision, covering planning and provision of services and effects of national policy and legislation, quality assurance, meeting individual needs and working in partnership. The second unit is Child Development, covering development and factors that affect development, the role of play and planning of a learning aid. The third unit is Anatomy and Physiology, covering body systems, dysfunctions of these systems, diagnostic techniques and treatments.
Promoting Quality Care and the Anatomy and Physiology units are assessed by an externally set written examination paper. The other units are assessed through written portfolios.
Choosing Health and Social Care will provide you with a broad background in Health and Social Care. It will allow you to progress into further education, training or employment. It provides a suitable basis for further study in this subject or related courses, which could include Degrees or Modern Apprenticeships.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Bushey Academy directly.