Accessibility links

Design and Technology – Product Design (Graphics) AS and A level at The Emmbrook School

Course description

Product Design is all around us. Everything we come into contact with from our smart phones to our plastic milk bottles or from a Ferrari F1 car to a child’s scooter has been considered and designed by someone. There is a huge industry made up of many different roles that go into producing all of our products that we take for granted. Concept artists, materials analysts, designers, modelling specialists… the list goes on. This is what makes Product Design such a varied and interesting course and career.

Course content

AS Unit 1 60% of AS / 30% of total GCE. Internally assessed. Portfolio of Creative Skills – Students produce one portfolio with three distinct sections which will demonstrate their flair and creativity when investigating, designing and making products. Unit 2 40% of AS / 20% of total GCE. Externally assessed examination. Design and Technology in Practice – In this unit students will develop a knowledge and understanding of a wide range of materials and processes used in the field of design and technology. A2 Unit 3 A2 40% of AS / 20% of total GCE. Externally assessed examination. Designing for the Future - In this unit students will develop their knowledge and understanding of a range of modern design and manufacturing practices and contemporary design issues. Unit 4 60% of AS / 30% of total GCE. Internally assessed. Design and Technology in Practice – In this unit students are given the opportunity to apply the skills they have acquired and developed throughout this course of study, to design and make a product of their choice that comply with the requirements of the Graphic Materials specification.

Entry requirements

C or above in related subject: RM, Product Design or Engineering. Consideration given to individual applicants who do meet above criteria.

Financial information

Text book costing £18, a good A3 sketch book, a range of pencils and colours. Students also need to buy some of their own materials for making products but this depends on what they design and make.

Future opportunities

Many students go on to study these areas at University level but also use these skills in related industries where communication and an understanding of aesthetics and creativity are valuable assets. University graduates have gone on to be creative at companies such as Lego, Dyson, Microsoft,, Orange, Nokia and Alpkit.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Emmbrook School directly.

Last updated date: 01 September 2016

Key information

Venues