Spanish - AS/A Level at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
Would you like to improve your ability to speak, write and read Spanish? This course helps you to broaden your vocabulary, enhance your knowledge of grammar, and communicate on a range of topics. As well as bringing your language skills up to an advanced level, you will be able to improve your knowledge of Spanish-speaking cultures.
The course is suitable if you are progressing from GCSE Spanish. It may also be available if you have prior experience at an equivalent level. As well as helping to boost your Spanish skills, the course allows for progression into Higher Education. It can be taken as part of a full-time programme of study in conjunction with other AS subjects, or possibly with other Level 3 qualifications.
The course is delivered through a blend of the following:
- Project work
- Group work
- Writing exercises
- Listening exercises
- Spoken exercises
- Translation exercises
- 5 GCSEs grade C or above to include Mathematics, English or Welsh (1st language) and at least a grade B in Spanish. NOTE: GCSE short course not acceptable. Specific additional entry requirements will be discussed with you at interview.
- Entry onto the full A Level is based on your performance at AS Level
- All students should be interested and enthusiastic about the subject.
All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
The course is assessed as follows:
- Oral examination: You will participate in a structured discussion, based on a short written stimulus. You will also complete an oral expose, on a topic of your choice
- Listening and responding examination: You will work on an individual cassette with various tasks. You can stop, rewind and listen as much as you wish within the overall time limit for this paper (3 hours)
- Course work: You will write a project on a topic of your choice. You can focus on any issue relevant to Spain or Spanish-speaking countries
- You will also complete a short translation into Spanish
Whether you study the full A Level or just the AS Level, the course adds to your qualifications and helps you to progress. You will gain UCAS points and be able to apply for a range of Higher Education courses at many institutions.
If you choose to continue your studies in a related subject, you would be able to apply for degree courses including Spanish, Translation Studies and Joint Language Honours. In addition to these educational options, you will also benefit from your knowledge of a modern language, and could consider working in a Spanish speaking country or environment.Career opportunities
- University level course such as a Foundation or Honours Degree
- Continue with studies with a work-based qualification at the college
Programme code: 0014C03B
Depending on the campus, students may be able to access elements of the programme in both English and Welsh through some programme learning materials being made available bilingually. Details will be provided to you at interview.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grŵp Llandrillo Menai directly.