Hair and Beauty Level 1 at Truro and Penwith College
This course will lead you into the exciting industry of Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy. You will learn different techniques of styling, plaiting and twisting, along with some basic skills in beauty therapy to support your hairdressing designs. This programme will also support the fundamental skills of English, Maths and employability benefiting the career pathway of your choice. We will focus on how we present ourselves, particularly in an ever changing, fashion conscious world. The course will also help you to develop your skills in communicating knowledge about hairdressing to non-specialists and the general public.
You will start off by exploring and learning how different kinds of hair styles are created. You will learn how to communicate with a variety of clients that visit a salon and the range of hairstyles that they have. You will be provided with opportunities to investigate and research different types of cultural hair and styles that a hairdresser will work with in a salon.
You will develop your spoken and written language to enable you to communicate in a professional salon manner with clients, friends and family that you will be working with.
You will discover how English and maths play an important part in everyday life and you will learn how crucial these skills are to enable you to gain employment. You will investigate how you can adapt socially, looking at different accents and cultures that you will be dealing with on a daily basis in the salon. You will undertake independent coursework and assignments on hairdressing covering different topics within the course.
- Introduction to the hair and beauty industry - The aim of this unit is to introduce you to the hair and beauty industry exploring different salons and the development of you as an individual in this area.
- Presenting a professional image - You will explore how to conduct yourself in the College salon environment that has a range of paying clients who visit. You will study the purpose, diversity of clients and the services we offer.
- Shampoo and conditioning - The aim of this area of study is to allow you to explore and analyse clients’ hair and what types of shampoos and conditioners are available to treat different hair and skin types. It also requires you to carry out different kinds of treatments for our clients that will improve your skills as a hairdresser but also improve the client experience.
- Styling and finishing - The aim of this area is to focus on how to style and finish a client’s hair. This will include setting in rollers and styling using various heated equipment to curl, straighten or style hair up for special occasions.
- Plaiting and twisting - The aim of this unit is to focus on how to plait hair in various styles and finish client’s hair, styling hair up for special occasions including competition or bridal work.
- Maths and English - As part of your study you will be required to undertake Maths and English. This will form part of your programme of study and will require you to sit an exam for both Maths and English at a Level 1 or higher depending on your GCSE grades from school.
- Employability skills - This will focus on your ability to work in a salon environment and will also form part of your study. This will include looking at how to work in the hair and beauty industry with research and assignments.
- Progression - Progression on to the Level 2 Hair or Beauty Diploma course will depend on completing and achieving this qualification.
No prior qualification is required, however a good aptitude for working in the sector is essential.
Your achievement in this subject is dependent upon excellent attendance, punctuality and effort. You will learn in a friendly salon atmosphere, using a variety of assessment methods:
- You will be assessed regularly on your written assignment work that is conducted either as homework or under timed conditions in class and given feedback on your progress. You also will be assessed regularly on your terminology.
- Discussions and presentations are a vital part of our assessment process and you will be expected to contribute to those with presenting your work to your peers and tutor.
- You and your tutor will review your own performance in 1:1 sessions with your tutor.
- You will undertake practical assessments on each unit in the salon showcasing your skills.
- You will be formally assessed on each unit that you study. The assessments are completed on a regular basis so there is no end of year exam. Your work is presented in a portfolio either in a ring bind folder or electronically, although mock exams will be administered in Maths and English towards the end of the year and your final exams will also be set to ensure progress on to a higher level. Coursework and assignments are compulsory.
On completion of this qualification you could progress onto one of the following:
- Level 2 Diploma in Women’s Hairdressing
- Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Specialist Techniques
We encourage all students to widely research especially those who wish to study at a higher Level 2 and above.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Truro and Penwith College directly.