Hairdressing Level 1 Cerificate at Herefordshire & Ludlow College
You will work in the College’s up-to-date salon, Eden, which creates an outstanding learning environment for hairdressing. It is open to members of the public, providing you with a real working environment.
You will also participate in local and national competitions testing your skills and adding to your impressive CV.
If you are outgoing, friendly, practical, and thrive on being creative, then the hairdressing industry could be for you. This course is designed to build on your interest and passion for this sector. It will provide you with an ideal, practical introduction to prepare you for further training in the hair or beauty sector.
The skills that you will learn are taught through a variety of situations, in the College’s commercial salon and in theory lessons. Some hairdressing products are not suitable for some skin conditions so please discuss any concerns with a course tutor.
You will cover a diverse range of topics throughout your course. A selection of unit titles is shown below.
Level 1 Certificate in Hairdressing and Barbering
- Shampoo and Condition Hair
- Prepare for Hair Services and Maintain Work Areas
- Blow Dry Hair
- Assist with Hair Colour Services
Level 1 Certificate in the Introduction to the Hair and Beauty Sector
- Introduction to the Hair and Beauty Sector
- Presenting a Professional Image in a Salon
- Hand Care
- Nail Art Application
- Basic Make-up Application
- A minimum of 2 GCSEs including English and maths at grade E or above
- All applicants will undergo an initial assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Places will be offered following a satisfactory interview
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area
You will be assessed on a continuous basis within a realistic working environment by practical observation, oral questioning, assignments and written test papers. You will need to pass all areas of assessment. Completion of all assessments will be retained in a portfolio. This portfolio will be internally and externally verified.
Study options may include:
- Level 2 Diploma in Hairdressing
- Intermediate Apprenticeship in Hairdressing
- Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy
Employment options may include:
- Junior Hair Stylist
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Herefordshire & Ludlow College directly.