Children And Young Peoples Workforce Level 2 Certificate at Milton Keynes College
Is your goal to become a childcare worker working with young children? Are you currently working or volunteering in a nursery, preschool, as an assistant to a childminder, within a children’s centre or other such environments with children and hoping to secure this employment?
This course will help you gain an understanding of the requirements of the childcare worker and support the development of your vocational practice. It will enhance your career prospects and can lead to further training opportunities.
The course covers all areas of the childcare worker role e.g. communication, supporting positive behaviour, promoting equality and diversity and safeguarding. This course is approximately 50% theory and 50% practical.
You will study the following 11 mandatory units:
- Contribute to the support of children & young person development
- Contribute to children & young people’s health & safety
- Contribute to the support of positive environments for children & young people
- Understanding partnership working in services for children & young people
- Introduction to communication in children & young people’s settings
- Introduction to personal development in children & young people’s settings
- Introduction to equality & inclusion in children’s & young people’s settings
- Child & young person development
- Safeguarding the welfare of children & young people
- Maintain & support relationships with children & young people
- Support children & young people’s positive behaviour.
Your allocated Workplace Trainer will also guide you in selecting optional units relevant to your job/placement.
We will also support your development in English and Maths which are a key component of all College Programmes.
- You will need to have a minimum of three month’s experience of supporting the care of children is some form of childcare environment. This can be on an employed or voluntary basis. You must be working or volunteering in this environment for a minimum of nine hours a week throughout the course
- You will be required to complete an initial assessment in English and Maths and achieve an appropriate level.
There is continuous assessment through knowledge in the form of written assignments submitted via the online portfolio, plus observations of your practice in the workplace.
After successfully completing the course you could progress onto the Level 3 Diploma in Children’s Learning and Development (Early Years Educator). Alternatively, you could seek an apprenticeship in the sector or enter employment within a childcare environment.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Milton Keynes College directly.