Sport (Sport and Exercise Science) Level 3 at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
Do you have a keen interest in sport, exercise and fitness? Would you like to gain a detailed knowledge of these areas?
This course provides a diverse programme, covering many aspects of sport. In particular, you will investigate the science behind sports performance, training, health and fitness. You will also learn about theories of sport, focusing on how they can be used to practically improve the performance of sportspeople. Your studies will include aspects of anatomy, sports injuries, massage, nutrition, psychology, skill development and coaching.
Through practical sports sessions you will be able to experience a variety of different sports and specialise if you wish.
The course is suitable if you have an interest in all aspects of sport, from actual participation to methods of performance enhancement and the question of how sport can benefit society. Throughout the course, you will benefit from the experience of the College's sports staff, many of whom are current practitioners in their respective fields. This will enable you to put into practice what has been learnt in the classroom. You will develop the knowledge, confidence and leadership skills to start your career, or to progress into Higher Education.
The programme will be delivered through a blend of the following:
- Group work
- Classroom based learning
- Tutorial support
- Educational visits
- MOODLE (virtual learning environment)
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade C or above; or,
- Successful completion of a relevant Level 2 course at Merit or Distinction level
- You will be invited to attend a College interview to establish that the course is suitable for your career intentions
- You must be committed, determined and enthusiastic about the subject
- You must provide a satisfactory reference regarding attendance, attitude and potential
- All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
The programme will be assessed through a blend of the following:
- Practical and written assessments/assignments
- Presentations and demonstrations
- Portfolios of work
- Performance and observation
There may also be some external assessments.
Completion of the full two year course will provide you with various options in employment and education.
You could proceed onto a number of programmes at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai, including:
- Foundation Degree (FdSc) Sport Science (Sports Coaching), available at Rhos-on-Sea
- Foundation Degree (FdSc) Sports Science (Outdoor Recreation), available at Bangor
Alternatively, you may apply to other institutions for Degrees, Foundation Degrees and HNDs in Outdoor subjects, Sports Science, Sports Development, Geography, Nursing, Teacher Training and Computing, to name just a few.
You will be able to enter the industry in areas such as sports development, coaching and personal training. You could also apply for Education Authority roles on health and lifestyle programmes. Alternatively, you could enter the armed forces or the emergency services.Career opportunities
- Exercise Physiologist
- Fitness Centre Manager
- Outdoor Activities Instructor
- Sports Coach
- Sports Development Officer
- Sports Equipment Development & Research
- Sports Therapist
- Sport & Exercise Psychologist
Programme code: 0801A03B
Depending on the campus, students may be able to access elements of the programme in both English and Welsh through some programme learning materials being made available bilingually. Details will be provided to you at interview.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grŵp Llandrillo Menai directly.