Discover Opportunities at Gloucestershire College
Discover Pathway courses are available to young people aged 16-24 requiring a moderate to lower level of additional support in order to move onto higher level courses and/or employment.
Learners are taught in small groups with support and guidance offered by a Personal Tutor, Teaching Assistant, and where appropriate by a Learner Support Assistant (individual support) working towards Entry level 3 or Level 1 qualifications.
All courses aim to promote students’ independence, social interaction skills and transferable employability skills, with the long term view of students securing employment in either the supported or open labour market, or progressing onto higher level courses within the college.
- You will need to take an initial assessment in English and maths, achieving at least Entry Level 3 in both areas.
- Entry to the course is also dependant on a successful interview.
Students have a chance to progress onto:
- Higher level courses within the College
- Employment (either supported employment / full / part time employment)
- Voluntary work
The curriculum follows a personalised approach including:
- Guidance and help with transition into College involving other agencies as required
- Initial assessment carried out in a supportive manner with student’s needs in mind
- Additional support available as required
- English and Mathematics are fully embedded in the learning to promote reading, writing, speaking & listening and number skills
- Individual goals are negotiated and set with the students
- Regular pastoral and welfare support is offered
- Regular review and assessment of students’ progress is a core part of the programme
- Close communication regarding progress is maintained with families/carers/other agencies throughout the year
- Transition onto another course or out of college is supported and includes other agencies
- All support arrangements will be assessed during the informal meeting and Transition programme.
- Students will also have opportunities to participate in day excursions and other external learning activities.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Gloucestershire College directly.