Laboratory Technicians Apprenticeship Level 2 at Bolton College
Our Apprenticeship programmes will give you vital hands-on experience, learning from real life situations, with the guidance of industry professionals. You’ll gain the skills and confidence needed to excel in your chosen career.
Working in the science sector can lead to many opportunities including research and development, product and process development, scientific.
As a lab technician, you will be working within a laboratory setting, supporting scientists and helping to carry out tests, research and investigations.
This course is a great way to build on your skills and gain a recognised qualification whilst also earning a salary. Plus, 90% of apprentices stay in employment after finishing their Apprenticeship!*
Your work will vary depending on your employer, but you will gain a range of skills from the various tasks you complete. These could include:
- Maintaining health and safety in a scientific or technical workplace
- Provide technical advice and guidance for scientific or technical activities
- Plan scientific or technical sampling and testing activities
- Diagnose faults, repair and maintain scientific or technical equipment for workplace activities
- Maintain and control stocks of all resources, equipment and consumables for scientific or technical activities
- Measuring, weighing and preparing compounds and solutions for laboratory use
- Test and evaluate new scientific or technical methods and equipment for learning activities.
You will also gain the following qualifications:
- Knowledge Qualification – BTEC National Diploma in Applied Science
- Competence Qualification – Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities
- Level 2 Functional Skills in Maths, English and ICT (unless you already have a GCSE grade 4 (C) pass or above)
- We encourage English and maths study to Level 3 if required for your chosen HE course or career.
To complete an Apprenticeship you will need an employer who is willing to support you throughout your training. If you have not found one, we can help you with your search.
We’d like to see a proven track record of very good attendance at work/school, along with a good reference from school/a previous employer. We also ask that you have a satisfactory level of English & maths.
You’ll also need enthusiasm, motivation and a keen interest in your chosen sector.
You will build a portfolio of your work demonstrating your skills and abilities. This will include a work diary, photos, statements from your employer and colleagues and examples of completed tasks.
Assessment consists of practical tasks, observations, oral questioning, written questions, assignments and projects.
The Functional Skills are assessed online.
On successful completion of this Apprenticeship, you could progress onto full-time employment, professional job-specific qualifications, Higher Apprenticeships or a degree programme.
Following further study you could work as:
- A Laboratory Technician in Biomedical Sciences, Education or Industry (average starting salary: £15,500 per year)
- A Laboratory Supervisor, earning between £30,000 and £40,000 per year
- A Teaching Laboratory Technician, specialising in working in secondary schools, colleges and universities. You could earn between £15,000 and £19,000 per year.
College Facilities include:
- Sessions delivered in our £4.3 million STEM Centre, including fully equipped laboratories.
- Specialist subject tutors in Biology, Chemistry and Physics
- Progression opportunities to a variety of university courses – including Forensics, Pure Science and Pharmaceuticals
Our £75 million campus offers:
- A fitness suite and sports hall
- Apple Mac suites
- A theatre and dance studios
- A café selling Costa coffee
- Wella-approved hair salons
Number 1 for Achievement Rates
We’re the number one General FE and Tertiary College for 16-18 achievement rates in Greater Manchester.
Ofsted Grade 2 ‘Good’
Ofsted also agrees; in February we were inspected and graded 2 for ‘Good’. Ofsted highlighted the fact that our learners develop good employability and personal skills and that a high proportion progress to Apprenticeships, employment or Higher Education.
The College will support you throughout your time here. In College, you will receive personal support from your tutor; out of College, you will have your own personal Assessor, who will visit you in the workplace.
During their recent visit in February 2017, Ofsted commended the College for its provision of “well targeted information, advice and careers guidance, which meets individual needs and enables learners to make informed choices about the next steps in their learning and career”.
Discover what Bolton College can do for you by attending one of our Young People’s Open Events at our Deane Road campus.
Thursday 12th October 2017, 4.30pm - 8pm
Wednesday 22nd November 2017, 4.30pm - 8pm
Wednesday 7th February 2018, 4.30pm - 8pm
Thursday 28th September 2017, 3.30pm – 7pm
Disclaimer: The Government is currently introducing positive Apprenticeship reform with the creation of Employer Trailblazer Groups, who are developing new Apprenticeship standards. As such, Apprenticeship qualifications may be subject to change.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.